Mirabai Temple in VrindavanMirabai temple is situated around 10 kms from Mathura at Vrindavan. It is the place where Lord Krishna spent much of his childhood. The original name of the city Brindavana was derived from the words ‘Brinda’ which means ‘Tulsi’ and "Van".
Meera bai came to Vrindavan in 1524 in search of Lord Krishna and His memories. She lived in Vrindavan from 1524 to 1539. Then she left Vrindavan and went to Dwarika to stay there till her death or submerge in Lord Krishna in 1550.
Mirabai, since her childhood, became ardent devotee of Lord Krishna. Legend goes that once her mother playfully called Lord Krishna to be Mira’s husband and since then she started considering herself as Krishna’s wife. Mirabai was born in Marwar, Jodhpur in the village of Kurki. Her mother passed away when she was young and her father married her to crown prince of Chittor, prince Bhojraj, the eldest son of Maharaja Sangram Singh. Mira at her sasural performed all her duties towards family but nothing could stop her worship towards Lord Krishna. She went to various temples and wrote and sang songs for Lord Krishna, which was not acceptable to Royal Family.
After 4 years of marriage, her husband prince Bhojraj died in a battle and his brother Rana Bikramjit Singh became the ruler of Chittor. He and other family members tried hard to stop Mirabai’s worship but they couldn’t. Feeling defamed, Rana even tried to kill her by sending her poison in a box, when she opened it, it is said that she found a shaligram shila in the box. This black shaligram is kept in Vrindavan in Mirabai temple.
After this and few other incidents, Mira decided to leave Chittor and she came to Vrindavan. Here she came to a monastery where Rupa Goswami and Jiva Goswami lived. This is the place where she lived while in Vrindavan. Later she left for Dwarka, where it is said that Lord Krishna merged her into his idol. This monastery was later converted into temple on her name. Mirabai Mandir was constructed in 1842, Bikram Samwat 1898 by the Rajdiwan of Bikaner, Thakur Ram Narain Bhatti.
Mirabai temple is situated just off the road which opens at Nidhivan on one side and faces Shah Ji temple on the other. While entering Shahji temple, towards left there is a narrow lane by the temple's boundary wall which leads the path to Mirabai temple. It is very simple structure in elegant Rajasthani architecture. The shaligram shila deity can be seen even from the entrance of the temple. People say that eyes, nose, ears, lips can be seen on this shila and the same is worshiped as Lord Krishna.
There are many green plants in the courtyard facing the temple. Money plant and some other ornamental green plants are there which surround a small water fountain that generally works only in summer months here.
The temple is open for its devotees at 7:30 in the morning hours and closes at 12 afternoon. Again at 5:00 in the evening it opens up and closes for the night at 8:00.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 1